We celebrated Aric’s birthday last weekend with a Yo Gabba Gabba themed party. My goal was to make it low key and no big deal. It turned into a DIY-nightmare.
The whole reason I wanted to do a Gabba birthday was because I wanted to use my brand new Cricut machine to make this banner:
I honestly don’t remember what gave me the inspiration to make this, but I completely LOVE how it turned out. It’s made with scrapbook paper, my Cricut machine with the cartridge that came with it, rubber cement, and ribbon. And it only took me 2 hours. Or something. I don’t remember. But I love it, and it’s now hanging in Aric’s room as a permanent art installation
So. Now that I had the banner, I needed to come up with an awesome cake idea. A lightbulb turned on in my head and I thought, “ZOMG! I’ll make a Muno cake (the red guy) but I’ll make it out of RED VELVET CAKE!!!”
So I bought a box of Red Velvet Cake mix and threw it in the oven. Thirty minutes later I checked on it, only to realize I didn’t actually turn the oven on. Fail #1. So I turned on the oven and baked it. When it was time to take it out, I put it on a wire rack to cool. When it was mostly cool, I used my hands to transfer the 13×9 slab of cake onto a flat cookie sheet for easier decorating. It broke in half. Fail #2. I took my knife and started shaping it into the Muno body shape I wanted. And I cut. And cut. And cut some more until there was hardly any cake left to decorate. Fail #3. Then I attacked it with red frosting. And it crumbled apart. Fail #4.
So I said, “Screw this ish!” and turned all the unfrosted Red Velvet Cake into Red Velvet Cake Balls.
These? Totally made up for the massive fail that was Muno Cake Attempt #1. (Super easy recipe from Bakerella!)
So then I was in a pickle. I didn’t have enough cake mix left to make another cake. OR DID I???? Turns out the Baking gods were smiling down upon me and gifted me with a box of white cake mix stashed away in my pantry. Muno Cake Attempt #2 went MUCH better.
This went over so well Aric talked about his “Nuno Ake” for a solid week.
Then, as if that wasn’t enough, I decided to attempt rainbow cupcakes. Of course I don’t have a photo, but I got the recipe here and that’s almost EXACTLY how mine turned out. These were oddly A LOT of fun to make, and even more fun to eat
AND THEN (oh yes, there is more) I went to the fabric store looking for a print that I could use to applique Aric’s name and the number 2 to the back of the shirt I bought for his party. But what I walked out of there with was 2 yards of flannel Cars print and 2 yards of a minky dot fabric to go with. And I made him a quilt. With 4 matching throw pillows. And the quilt needed those adorable little yarn knots to hold it all into place. But those adorable yarn knots are a PAIN IN THE YOU KNOW WHAT to add to an already thick quilt. And I had blisters on my fingers for days afterwards. But his reaction to it was pretty awesome:
I don’t know that I’ll ever attempt a quilt like that again, but I have to admit, I really like having something like that that I MADE!!
So there you have it: the low-key, no-stress birthday party that turned into a giant DIY mess. It’s a good thing Aric will always remember how much fun he had at his party!